Here we go again

In 2013 I had a long exchange of correspondence with Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs, the upshot of which was to establish that I am truly and completely fiscally resident in France, with no UK income and no tax liability. It took some months to establish this to everyone's satisfaction but I received several letters from different tax officers, sometimes all on the same day, all agreeing to and affirming this.

Now then. We have a bank account with Virgin One which was our main account until we left the UK in 2005. I loved this bank account very much. I wish there was a similar thing in France. When we left the UK we didn't close the account and we currently have £5 in it. I hope that if one day we return to the UK we can simply continue with that account as we did before.

Then they sent me a form to fill in to show that I am fiscally resident in France. It demanded strange things, like a photocopy of a passport issued by a foreign country and endorsed with a stamp from a UK consulate. I don't have a passport from a foreign country (yet). They helpfully supplied a phone number if you needed help. I dialled it. I got no response. I called Virgin One. "Oh, that form is nothing to do with us. It's RBS."

I considered that for the sake of £5 and having had official confirmation from several of her majesty's officers that I am fiscally resident in France I had done all I could reasonably do. But no. I am being chased up. So I shall write them a letter to enclose with my form.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A bit about music exams in UK and France

The Kitchen