The Gideon Dinner

We were very kindly invited to a dinner thrown by the Gideons in the local Mercure hotel. What ho!

I'd previously asked one of the Gideons what one wears. You know that in France we're not quite as formal as in the UK. I can still remember how shocked I was the first time I saw a funeral, where people in their 50s turn up in jeans and leather jacket. Now I'm so well adjusted that doing "formal" has become frankly rather a headache.

"Oh no, whatever," was his reply.

Yeak. OK. So Pat got out a nice dress and a kind of lacy long cardigan thing.

I dug out my nicer black trousers and decided on a grey shirt. No tie. There is a limit. But I'd wear my navy blazer I got in Asda.

Well it was AWFUL!

The thing is now much too big for me. I look like I've had consumption or something. I just couldn't wear it. Instead I have an old leather jacket that I got over ten years ago and which was a much better fit.

The meal was very nice. Ham with some salad to start. Then roast chicken with a sort of hash brown. Then a kind of chocolate, strawberry and speculoos dessert.

One of our Bordeaux Church folk was telling how she'd been converted after receiving and reading a Gideon's New Testament. It was good to chat with the other folk.

So that was last night sorted.

The Gideons were well dressed. Other folk came in a variety of outfits ranging from jacket and tie to jumper and jeans. We done fine.

But we're going to a wedding in the summer. Yay!

Do I have to find a new jacket, one that fits, or can I get away with a navy cardigan?
Do I still have a navy cardigan?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A bit about music exams in UK and France

The Kitchen